March 8, 2011

Foster The People - "Torches" preview

A song that was a key part of my music listening throughout the summer came on the radio recently, which caught me off guard because I thought it was a gem that had already come and gone. Pumped Up Kicks is the first single off of Foster The People's debut EP, and it is finally picking up the popularity it deserves. I say finally only because I came across the song when it got leaked way back in April 2010, and I put more than a few plays on it as it fit right in with the mgmt/mstrcrft business that was happening on my speakers then. I thought I actually posted it when I got it, but I guess in the daze that was the summer it never got done, which is not surprising really.

Either way the group has released two other tracks in the EP to compliment the single which both keep to the relaxed, smooth style. The one thing I find with some bands in these indie/alternative rock genres is that a lot of their songs sound the same, almost at times indistinguishable from each other, which leads to me getting bored quickly. It's nice to see this isn't the case with Foster The People, as through the magic of synth and bass they keep each song different and entertaining. This EP provides just a small preview of what this group can do, and we can look towards their full album, Torches, being released right in time for May 24.

Foster The People - Pumped up kicks


Foster The People - Helena Beat


Foster the People - Houdini

1 comment: