May 11, 2011

The Decemberists


I had this super long post all written up about Indie-Folk-Rock music featuring a few artists that I've been into, but I wasn't able to post it because I've been fighting to get the wireless internet to work for about 2 weeks now. Over that time, I kind of fell out of love with one of the artists that I was going to post so I'm rewriting the whole thing because I'm unemployed until the 25th and have nothing better to do with my time.
There are a bunch of good hip hop mixtapes out there right now, but I haven't been able to get any of them because my student house stopped paying for internet 3 weeks ago and I'm lucky to get google to load, let alone anything else. As a result, I've been going through a lot of the stuff that I added to my itunes just before we lost the internet. At that point I was on a real non-hip hop phase and The Decemberists are what I replaced it with. They are a indie-folk-rock group from Portland that released their 6th studio album at the beginning of '11 titled The King is Dead. Their music has the feel of indie rock, except the addition of some folk influences and a bit of country. On their own, I've never really gotten into country or folk individually but when you combine them with indie rock... it makes something pretty great. Both of these songs are from The King is Dead.

The Decemberists - Don't Carry It All


The Decemberists - This is Why We Fight


Bonus song - I went to a Rural Alberta Advantage concert the other day and one of the openers - Hooded Fang - caught my ear. Their music has the folk and rock influences of The Decemberists but with a bit more of a pop feel. I believe this song is more or less their lead single

Hooded Fang - Laughing

No comments:

Post a Comment