November 30, 2011

Savoir Adore - Dreamers (Feat. Ish, Remixed by Xaphoon Jones)


Originally this post was just going to be about iSH, a Toronto based rapper with quite the backstory - making his return from a year long hiatus yesterday, dropping the upbeat track Dreamer. After listening to the song a few times, I couldn't help but think that I recognized the beat from somewhere though... so I did a little digging and found a trail of samples to a great song that slipped my mind, from dream pop duo, Savoir Adore. I'll get to that in a minute though, iSH still deserves his respects.

When I came across iSH a little while back, I thought he was just another random college kid who wanted to start rapping, so I didn't give him too much credit. You should always listen to someone's story before judging though. iSH (Ishan Morris) was born a Canadian to a Jamaican father and an Irish mother, and thus spent most of his childhood split between Jamaica and home. Once he got his legs under him he didn't hesitate, attending the American Academy of Dramatic Arts and starting his music/acting career (appearing in a few TV shows and a role in Saw 3). After graduating, iSH went on with music to release his first mixtape in 2010, The Name Is iSH, effectively making his mark, but then promptly falling off the map. iSH is now officially back, releasing Dreamer and announcing his debut album, The First Impression, for 2012. Keep an eye out for this one (is Toronto blowing up?).

iSH - Dreamer

As I alluded to before, after hearing this track a few times I got stuck on how familiar the sample sounded. When I looked into it, I found that Xaphoon Jones had just released his remix of Dreamers by Savior Adore on November 11th and iSH had immediately jumped on it. After Xaphoon's success with Chiddy Bang, he's consistently released solo efforts that have been interesting and worth more than one listen, but it wasn't the remix I recognized.

Savoir Adore - Dreamers (Xaphoon Jones Space Horn Remix)

Savoir Adore is one of the artists that the label Neon Gold (think Passion Pit, Ellie Goulding, Gotye), has been promoting heavily through many mediums - including into the SG mailbox. This is where I first heard the track, but it must have slipped away in this dream of a life I live, (meaning I generally have no idea what's coming next, rather than perfection). The group's self proclaimed "Fantasy Rock" style is justified by their hard hitting pallet for warm adventure pop, with a smooth clash of distinct male and female vocals. The two best friends, Paul Hammer and Deidre Muro, record as a 2 piece, but Savoir Adore performs with up to 6 members live. Their music seems to be good no matter what light you put it under, which is always a sure sign of a good thing.

Savoir Adore - Dreamers

No comments:

Post a Comment