July 9, 2013

Wale feat. J. Cole - Winter Schemes


When thinking about my inaugural post, it was almost as if I wanted to wait for this big moment in the game: the June 18th eargasm of Kanye, Cole and Mac or the July 4th fireworks of Jay-Z's Samsung endeavour, Magna Carta Holy Grail. But then it struck me...fire is fire and this flame right here needs to be fanned.

J. Cole gave Wale the greatest gift when he moved up his release date from June 25th to the 18th as Folarin easily soared to #1 on the Billboard charts with his strong second set for MMG, The Gifted. The duo set the net abuzz last night when Wale tweeted that they would both hop on the Jake One production train and release Winter Schemes at 6:30pm.

The beat comes in spicy with a thumping drum-kick, choir sounds and a sped-up sample that sounds as if Drake's, Lord Knows and Twista's, Overnight Celebrity linked up at the bar last night and let the special magic sauce do the talkin'. It baffles me that Jake Uno is not given the praise the Mike WiLL Made Its and Hit-Boys are this year. I know I'm not the only one who was the tiniest bit upset that songs like Kenny Lofton and 3 Wishes failed to make the cut for Cole's, Born Sinner, but I'll live.

Cole remains consistent in his flow and delivers a strong verse. He seems more at ease with his new found critical and commercial success. And then...Wale goes in. Maybe the haters were extra vocal on Twitter when Folarin stepped into the booth, I don't know. But whatever got into Wale, I dig it. Perhaps he is shedding the "best underdog MC" title the game has been so comfortable in bestowing upon him.

I mean...#1 album, Rihanna feature, signed to one of the biggest labels in hip-hop. 2 years ago this would have been a description of Drizzy. Give the kid his due. NEW BLACK SOUL! NEW BLACK SOUL! NEW BLACK SOUL! 

No comments:

Post a Comment