April 17, 2011

Oh My - Run This Town


What is it with female pop artists from the UK? I don't know if this is one of those 'grass is greener' kind of situations but the brand of pop that they produce just seems so much better than what we come up with in North America. Think Ellie Goulding, La Roux, Adele, etc. Just saw this song over at P&P a minute ago and couldn't resist putting it up.
Oh My is a female pop duo out of the UK, but don't get put off by the pop label, they've got a rougher edge to them than you'd expect. They are the newest addition to the London-based record label 679 Artists and when you take a look at the musical acts in their stable, the quality of this track makes perfect sense - Oh My's label-mates include Little Boots, Marina & the Diamonds and Plan B, who are some of the heavyweights in the British pop scene.
Run This Town (unrelated to the Jay-Z version) is an awesome little piece of dance-punk/pop with some serious re-play potential. The simple, thumping drum beat combined with the raw guitar section immediately reminded me of Death From Above 1979, which can't be a coincidence since DFA1979 released an album on 679 (can we go easy on the 79's?). Can I mention that these two girls are absolute rockets? If somebody tells me what city you can find a large population of hip-looking girls like this, I will pack my bags and hop on the first flight out, until then:
 
And if that picture up top didn't make you fall in love with these two, they offered this teaser video for your consumption

No comments:

Post a Comment