June 1, 2010

The Black Keys - Throwing me back to the middle school days


I'm doing exterior painting as my summer job this year so I basically spend the entire work day with headphones on, going through my ipod. I put the new Black Keys album, Brothers on my ipod last week and planned on listening to it from start to end to decide whether I should write a blog on it. I ended up listening to it on repeat for the entire morning. Back in middle school (grades 7 and 8 for you small town kids who didn't have middle school) I listened to a whole lot of classic rock, but I started to get away from that whole genre of music in high school and pretty much haven't listened to it since, or much rock at all really. The Black Keys were formed in 2001 so they clearly are not classic rock but their blues-rock style definitely reminds me of it. The songs on Brothers feature some great blues-style guitar riffs that show the influence of great classic rock bands like Led Zeppelin, The Doors, etc. I'm always trying to find variety in the music that I listen to and Brothers definitely fills a void for me. Next Girl, She's Long Gone and Tighten Up are probably my 3 favourite songs on the album but they were pretty hard to choose as I like pretty much every song from it. Also, check out the video for Next Girl, its a pretty good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment